Equity in Our Schools
In the Charles City Community Schools, one of our key strategic goals is to achieve equity for our students throughout our school system. We believe that, regardless of who you are or what your story is, you can LEARN here. We focus on diversity, cultural competency, and social justice. We are taking a number of actions to ensure we meet this goal.
Equity vs. Equality
To start, it is important to understand the difference between these two terms:
- Equality means each individual or group of people is given the same resources or opportunities.
- Equity recognizes that each person has different circumstances and allocates the exact resources and opportunities needed to reach an equal outcome.
Our Equity & Achievement Goal
How do we achieve equity for all students? Below are some ways we can make it happen:
- Completing an equity audit of our school policies
- Cultural competency infused into our curriculum and leadership exploration
- Creating partnerships with the community and other school districts around equity
- Support training that allow staff, students, and community members to build empathy, cultural competence, and an understanding of equity.
- Provide leadership around systems to develop equitable outcomes for all students regardless of their circumstances
Where Do We Go From Here?
While we continue to make great progress when it comes to ensuring equity throughout our district, we know we have much work ahead of us. Below are some examples of how we are seeking to improve when it comes to equity in our schools:
- The Board of Education is engaging in a series of professional development sessions focused on equity.
- We are piloting empathy training as a possible avenue toward cultural competency
- We are creating capacity for our Leadership Team to lead conversations around equity and cultural competencies.
- We look to understand the needs of our students, staff, and families through participation in focus groups.
- We are listening to students, families, staff, and community members in an effort to better assess our current culture.
We look forward to engaging our community as we work to achieve our important goals when it comes to equity in Charles City Schools.