School Driving and Permit Information


You can request the documents for a school permit by visiting Central Services (1204 1st Avenue).  A student is generally eligible for a school permit once the following are met. The student:

• is at least 14 1/2 years old.
• has completed an Iowa-approved driver education course.
• holds a valid instruction permit and maintains a clean driving record for at least six consecutive months immediately before applying for your minor school license.
• lives at least one mile away from the campus they attend or the facility where a school-organized practice is located. 


1. Review the "What Can I Do" and "What Can't I Do" section with your child.  Contact Central Services with any additional questions, clarification, or if you have any unique circumstances you wish to discuss in regards to a school permit.

2. Request an "Affidavit for a Minor School License" by visiting Central Services. Make sure to bring your student permit /license. Central Services administrative assistants will make a copy of the license. We will contact you when the forms are signed by the superintendent. 

3.  Once you have the signed Affidavit, the parent should take this form, the student's instructional permit, and proof of completion of Drivers Education to the Floyd County Treasurers Office.